Hey there! It’s Kira and I am back with another tutorial using my favorite Cardstock Warehouse papers. I have been toying with the idea of making a larger statement piece of art using paper for a while now but could never pin down the direction I wanted to go in until now.
- Cardstock Warehouse Cardstock Papers
- Berrylicious Pop-Tone 65#
- Sno Cone Pop-Tone 65#
- Barely Pink Foundations 80#
- Orange Fizz Pop-Tone 65#
- Sorbet Yellow Colorplan 100#
- Tangy Orange Pop-Tone 65#
- Gialloro Sirio Color 80#
- Smoke Grey Colroplan 100#
- Smart White 65#
- Paper trimmer
- Electronic cutting machine (Cricut, Silhouette, etc.)
- Foam adhesive
I started this project with a sketch. I found lots of inspiration pieces on Pinterest and sketched based on what I liked best. I knew I wanted to have a sort of round, capsule shape for the base and settled on this sort of desert scene with a road.
I chose my color palette and stuck with sort of desert-y colors. I sized a half circle in my Cricut to 10.75 wide and cut my Berrylicious paper out. This half circle will be the top of the art piece. I cut a second half circle at the same size out of Smoke and Gialloro. Then I trimmed the Smoke half circle into a cone shape.
The half circle of Gialloro seemed a little too plain to me, so I cut strips to add more texture. Then it was just a matter of layering all of my pieces. Each layer was adhered to a piece of craft foam before being attached to the following layer to give it more dimension.
The hills I created were hand cut with scissors, mimicking my sketch as closely as possible.
After the hills, I decided to create an ombre effect with my sky by using two shades of blue, Sno Cone followed by Berrylicious. I continued the strips throughout the sky to create the same texture that I created with the Gialloro. I adhered these with foam tape as well.
The final details were added to the sky with a 3.5 circle as the sun and a few clouds added in Barely Pink. For the details on the road, I used Gialloro for the center lines and Smart White for the shoulder lines.
Once the layers were all adhered together, I hot glued the entire piece onto a piece of cardboard. This is to add stability to the entire piece so it could be easily hung on a wall.
Thanks for stopping by!