Summer is just around the corner. Sunshine, swimming, beaches, cookouts, picnics, and fireworks! I grew up on Long Island, where purchasing bottle rockets and firecrackers was “banned.” I have fond memories of heading to my Aunt Jeanette’s 4th of July party each summer. My cousins and their friends would shoot off their arsenal of contraband fireworks for hours into the night. Join me in making a slimline shaker card with “firecracker” shaker centers to celebrate America’s birthday!
- Cardstock Warehouse Cardstock in:
- Stitched Flower Frame (or similar frame/shaker die)
- Fireworks Stencil
- Patriotic Sentiment Stamps
- Red and Dark Blue Versamark Ink
- Silver Confetti and Glitter/sparkles
- Sprinkletz Firecracker Embellishments
- Scor-Tape ⅛ inch
- Dryer Sheet
- Liquid Adhesive
- Foam Tape
- Paper Trimmer
- Post-it tape (or other masking paper)
- Stencil Adhesive (or low tack tape)
- Die Cut Machine
- White Embossing Powder
- Heat Tool
To make the shakers, I first cut seven (7) stitched flower frames from each color of the Electric Red, Nightshift Blue and Bright White cardstocks. Using liquid adhesive, I glued 6 layers of the stitched frames together, created 3 layered frames, with 1 flower frame left over for each color. Gluing 6 layers of each color together creates a piece that is thick enough for your shaker bits to move around inside.
I measured the opening of the frame (1.5”). I cut three circles slightly bigger than the frame opening diameter (2”) from Madero Beach and another three circles from the clear acetate. Next, I adhered the Madero Beach cardstock circle to the backside of the layered flowered frames using liquid adhesive. I applied ⅛” scor-tape to the front side of the layered flower frames on the inside stitched circle - leaving the scor-tape backing on.
Next, I rubbed a dryer sheet inside the frame where the embellishments will go to help with static. I added silver confetti, silver glitter, and Sprinkletz Firecracker embellishments to the inside of each frame. Gently, I used the dryer sheet on the acetate circles (barely touching) so as not to create static. I removed the scor-tape backing and adhered the acetate to the layered frames. To complete the shakers, I glued the remaining stitched flower frame on top of the acetate on the layered frames.
Tip: You can use a powder tool instead of a dryer sheet. I don’t like the look of the powder on my shakers!
The slimline card base measuring 3.5” by 8.5” when folded (7”x8.5” before being folded) was created out of the Bright White cardstock. I also cut a card panel measuring 3” by 8.5” from Madero Beach cardstock. Using post-it tape, I first masked off ½” from the top and bottom of the card panel. I then affixed my stencil to the left side of the card panel, and masked off the right side, as my stencil is only 6” by 6”. I used red ink to stencil the left side to the middle of the panel. At about 4.25” on the panel, I started applying dark blue ink. I cleaned, then reaffixed the stencil to the right side of the card base. I used dark blue ink for the remainder of the right side of the panel (masking off the left side).
To assemble the card, I affixed the inked card panel to the center of the card base using scor-tape. I adhered the three shakers to the card using liquid glue, with the white flower partially stacked on the red and blue shaker using foam tape. I stamped a patriotic sentiment with Versamark on Nightshift Blue paper and heat embossed with white embossing powder. I adhered it to the white shaker with liquid adhesive.
Finally, I embellished the card with silver sparkle embellishments. And now my card is complete!